Burly Men at Sea
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Android
A folktale about a trio of large, bearded fishermen who step away from the ordinary to seek adventure.
With gameplay halfway between a visual novel and a point-and-click adventure, Burly Men at Sea's branching story carries its ungainly heroes into waters where lurk creatures from Scandinavian folklore and other misadventures. You play as storyteller and wayfinder, shaping a custom tale that begins again where it ends.
- Branching Story: Play through multiple choice-driven adventures, each designed to be completed in a single sitting.
- Innovative Controls: Shape the narrative through a unique, draggable viewport and your interactions within it.
- Playful Aesthetic: Colorful art style with handcrafted animation, set to a whimsical original soundtrack inspired by the game's Scandinavian setting.
"Artful interplay of visual minimalism, waggish writing and hilarious but also haunting sound effects generated by gorgeous a cappella voices. 5/5" —TIME
"It's a tiny-but-then-not-tiny, lovely thing with so much character and a wonderful sense of adventure." —Rock, Paper, Shotgun
"The closest thing I've played to an interactive fairy-tale." —The Telegraph
- IndieCade Selection (E3 2017)
- Excellence in Narrative Honorable Mention (IGF 2017)
- Top 10 Video Games of 2016 (TIME)
- Best Story Game of 2016 (Rock, Paper, Shotgun)
- Gamer's Voice Single Player Award Nominee (SXSW 2016)
ABOUT THE DEVELOPER
Burly Men at Sea is the second game from husband-and-wife team Brain&Brain, developed during their own adventures as nomads and erstwhile farmhands.
|Updated||13 days ago|
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Android|
|Release date||Sep 29, 2016|
|Genre||Visual Novel, Adventure, Interactive Fiction|
|Tags||2D, Atmospheric, Colorful, Experimental, Exploration, folklore, sailor, scandinavian|
|Average session||About an hour|
|Languages||German, English, Spanish; Castilian, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese|
|Links||Steam, Homepage, Twitter, Homepage, Patreon|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $9.99 USD. You will get access to the following files: